Katiba Mpya Kenya Moja
Civic Education Provincial Co-ordinators
Title: Civic Education Provincial Co-ordinator
Job Reference: COE/PC/01/009
Job Contract: Service Contract
Duration: 3 months renewable
Background & Context:
The Committee of Experts (CoE) on the Constitutional Review is an independent body established under the provisions of the Constitution of Kenya Review Act 2008. (The Review Act).
The core work of the CoE is to analyze the existing draft constitutions, identify contentious issues, invite proposals from Kenyans on what they think their solutions are on the said issues and then publicize a harmonized draft constitution to be presented to a national referendum.
In pursuance of Section 6, 23 and 35 (1) of the Review Act, the CoE is mandated to facilitate Civic Education (CE) in order to stimulate public discussion and awareness on constitutional issues.
Towards this, CoE seeks to recruit 11 Provincial Co-ordinators (PCs) to co-ordinate the delivery of Civic Education nationwide.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the overall direction of the Civic Education Programme Officers, the Provincial Coordinators will carry out the following tasks:
i. Co-ordinate and ensure the timely implementation of civic education activities on constitutional issues and the review process with a focus on quality, and increase public awareness and participation as well as the roles and responsibilities of the provincial administration and other stakeholders in the process.
ii. Coordinate and facilitate the dissemination of the draft constitution at provincial level,
iii. Coordinate and mobilize forums for post draft release awareness creation initiatives
iv. Monitor civic education activities at provincial level,
v. Provide administrative and logistical support to the Civic Education programme within the province such as facilitating visits, regional / public hearings, constituency visits etc.
vi. Manage and coordinate the activities of the Constituency Co-ordinators (CCs) to ensure that civic education is uniform, timely and delivered in accordance to CoE regulations, policies and procedures
vii. In consultation with the Civic Education Programme, develop provincial work plan for civic education and co-ordinate and monitor its implementation,
viii. Enhance the visibility and profile of the CoE, and act as the contact person between the CoE and the Provincial Administration, Local Authorities, Civil Society Organizations, Interest Groups and other stakeholders within the Province,
ix. Prepare and submit the monthly activity report to Civic Education Programme on civic education activities.
x. Support secretariat's efforts in the development, evaluation and distribution of CE material,
xi. Any other tasks as assigned by the CoE.
- At least a Bachelors Degree in any social science with and/or minimum 7 years commensurate experience in conducting civic education, community mobilization and social work.
- Experience in project management, co-ordination, monitoring and evaluation and report writing skills.
- A resident or local of the province possessing good understanding and knowledge of the province such as; geography, socio - economic and political dynamics
- Very good familiarity with Kenya's social political environment and history of constitutional making in Kenya and a proven ability to deliver civic education in an impartial and neutral manner
- Demonstrate interest in constitutional reform and proven commitment to the values of nation-building, good governance, democracy, human rights and gender equity.
- Proven experience in conducting civic education specifically for the constitution review process will be an added advantage
- Computer literacy; proficiency in Microsoft Office Word and Internet
- Good interpersonal and leadership skills
- A team player able to work under pressure
- Proficiency in English and Kiswahili language (written and verbal) with excellent public speaking skills in both languages
- Willingness to travel extensively within province
- Immediate availability
Interested candidates should state their province of choice in the application and send or deliver their applications quoting the JOB REFERENCE on the top left hand corner of the envelope to:
Committee of Experts on Constitutional Review
Delta House, Westlands, Off Waiyaki Way
P.O. Box 8703-00200,
Tel: 020-2527153; 020 4443214/15/16
Email: civic @ coekenya.go.ke
By or before 4.00 pm. 6th November, 2009
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Short listed candidates will be asked to provide original supporting documents for any qualification, as well as experience certificates and testimonials.