Job Title: Procurement Officer
Department / Project: Administration and Procurement Unit
Supervisor: Procurement Coordinator
Location / Duty Station: Nairobi
Job Summary & Purpose:
Support sub offices, field offices and individual projects to ensure efficient procurement of goods
and services including consultancy contracts, Government MOUs adhering to policy and procedures including donor regulations.
Tasks and responsibilities
R1: Purchasing, Run tenders and sealed bids
* Prepare tender templates, Requests for quotations form and send the invitation letters to the Vendors
* Identify suppliers to participate in the tendering
* Respond to queries raised during tendering period
* Source for quotations for both services and goods
* Prepare Summary Bid Analysis and Purchase orders
* Prepare consultant contracts as per CARE Kenya / Donor regulation and Government MOUs
* Lead Pre and post negotiation
R2: Prequalification of suppliers and performance management
* Carry out vendor selection for suppliers for various categories with approval from the Procurement committee
* Evaluation, placement and monitoring of procurement plans for user departments
* Prepare summary Bid analysis to identify required vendors and approved vendors in Coordination with the procurement committee
* Carry out vendor rating analysis and obtain approval from procurement committee based on Performance, reliability, delivery period, consistence in price
* Develop and maintain suppliers’ relationship and performance
R3: Planning, forecast and additional duties
* Develop and implement procurement plans with support from procurement coordinator
* Assist in updating procurement Status Report to ensure goods and services delivered to the Users are as per a greed dates and specifications
* Support in procurement planning and project procurement
* Run Bridger searches for ant terrorists
* Conduct market research for latest information regarding procurement
* Asses costs and advice on better methods for cost controls
R4: Staff Supervision
* Supervise Assistant procurement officers
* Staff appraisal
* Spending Authority: N/A
* Supervision: Assistant procurement Officers
* Decision Making:
1. Selection of potential vendors with support of Procurement Committee
2. Vetting of the suppliers
3. Advising projects on which procurement approach to be used in implementation of their project
Contacts/Key Relationships (internal & external):
* Project or Programme Team
* Support Team
* Managers & Directors
* Single - Favourable, during moderate weather
* Unfavourable, during rainy or dry spells
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Business
Experience: 3 years
Certificate: Diploma from CIPS or equivalent
* Understand NGO/Donor policies and procedures relevant to procurement.
* Demonstrate leadership abilities; conceptualize decisions related to bid analysis and product service, quality assessment and general procurement.
* Strong command of English both written and spoken.
* Understand internal and external statutory laws affecting procurement and Logistics and a team Player.
Qualified candidates are invited to send their application letters, indicating reference numbers in the application together with a detailed CV with three professional referees and daytime telephone contacts by 11th July, 2011 to the
Human Resources & Development Manager,
CARE International in Kenya.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer and promotes gender equity.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.