Dispenser for Safe Water Programme
Position: Field Associates
Position: Field Associates
Deadline for Applications: 5th July2012
The Dispenser for Safe Water (DSW) at Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) seeks to fill vacant positions for Field Associates to support our expansion program at SIAYA county in an effort to achieve our program’s medium-term goal - providing 5 million people with sustained access to safe water, which will prevent 2.3 million cases of child diarrhoea and avert over 2,200 child deaths each year.
DSW is a growing entrepreneurial program within IPA working to reduce the 1.6 million childhood deaths each year from diarrhoea, a leading cause of child mortality in Kenya and globally. The programme is doing this by deploying Chlorine Dispensers—a simple, low-cost innovation proven to dramatically increase rates of household water treatment, which significantly reduces diarrhoea and other waterborne disease.
Chlorine Dispensers have been recognised by a wide network of supporters, including the Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Local Government, Lake Victoria North Water Services Board and major international foundations and implementers.
Kenya is DSW’s flagship programme, currently transitioning from the proof-of-concept stage to large-scale implementation with a team of about 30 field staff in Kenya, serving around 400,000 people with access to safe water.
For this position, we are seeking Field Associates who are motivated by the opportunity to expand a programme with proven impact, potential to improve the health of millions and save thousands of lives.
All eligible candidates from the private, public and non-profit sectors who are interested in making a long-term commitment to a truly influential programme are encouraged to apply.
More information on Chlorine Dispensers can be found at: http://poverty-action.org/safewater
FA position is primarily a field based position which plays an important role as an interface between DSW and communities in delivering the chlorine dispenser safe water intervention to the target communities.
The FA position reports to the Area Coordinator.
- Lead community sensitization and education meetings
- Lead community leaders meetings and local Govt sensitization meetings
- Field execution of dispenser related activities eg Water Point Nominations, water point verification Water point dispenser installations, Chlorine service/ dispenser maintenance and field surveys administration
- Supervise, mentor, and coach community field/service assistants in the execution of their duties
- Developing weekly work plans and reports for field activities
- Field data administration for various activities through smart phone technology
- Other duties and responsibilities as delegated by the Area Coordinator.
Required Competencies and Attributes
- High level of integrity and stewardship
- Team work. Embraces team work and aspires and supports the ideals of working in a team work environment as a team champion
- Passion to work in a rural community setting
- Flexible mindset and willingness to relocate on a short notice to other field based assignments in other regions.
- Self driven and highly motivated to deliver results within tight deadlines.
- Good communication skills. Ability to communicate well within the organization and with the rural communities and local leaders
- Basic leadership skills in managing people ,working with communities and teams
- Good computer skills and comfort to advance the skills in a dynamic IT field .
- Proactive and ambitious to support innovation and change in a dynamic working environment
- Attitude. Positive attitude to work and to develop in a fast paced work environment
- Minimum Diploma in Management, community work, project management or equivalent.
- Good language skills in English and Kiswahili both spoken and written
- 1-2 yrs experience working with communities or social enterprises/NGOs
- Motor cycle riding skills or willingness to learn and ride a motorcycle.
- Knowledge of Siaya county geography and living there is a definite advantage
- Proficiency in Dholuo speaking is a definite advantage
Applications can be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Field Associate Position.”
Please attach the following documents:
- Cover letter explaining interest in the position and fit for the role
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.
Employment Terms:- Successful candidates will be on a 6 months contract renewable based on good performance.
Salary attached to this position is Kes 14000-16000/month
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Associate. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organisational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organisation. IPA is an equal opportunity employer. Please direct questions to email@example.com.