Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been present in Somalia since early 2004 and has since expanded its Horn of Africa Programme to Kenya in 2006 and to Ethiopia in 2011.
Since 2004, the Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has demonstrated a regional competence and expertise in working with displaced populations.
NRC has mainly focused on Somalis who are displaced by the ongoing conflict and more recently by the drought and famine.
The Regional Office is based in Nairobi, Kenya with offices and operations in Somalia (Puntland, Somaliland and Mogadishu), Kenya (Dadaab, Kakuma and Molo), Ethiopia (Addis Ababa, Dolo Ado, Shire and Asosa) and Yemen (Sa’naa).
The NRC Horn of Africa mission is an expanding programme.
NRC is seeking an IT Intern who will assist the Information & Communication Technology Officer with the daily support of the NRC Nairobi Day to day management of IT functions, ensuring the proper functioning of LAN, Server, the E-mail system and internet connectivity, providing timely end user computer support, ensuring that there is Hardware, printers and software resources availability and ensuring that the office is applying the Technology related SOPs and also to see that the Information technology goals are achieved.
Reference no.: 1753866288
Deadline for application: 19.04.2013
- Deputizing ICT Officer in day-to-day administration, maintenance, and support of computer systems and networks.(Manage the user helpdesk).
- Analyzes information to determine, recommend, and plan layout for type of computers and peripheral equipment, or modifications to existing equipment and system, that will provide capability for proposed project or work load, efficient operation and effective use of allotted space
- Confers with computer users to obtain information on limitations and capabilities of existing system and capabilities required for workload.
- Responsible to monitor functioning of equipment to ensure system operates in conformance with specifications
- Developing and coordinating the production of Technical Instruction Document for Training in Basic Computer Studies and training staff.
- Ensure that all computers on the Network, including visitors’ are free from viruses and other bugs.
- In liaison with the ICT Officer, follow up on all scheduled Hardware services and maintenance as per the set timetable, confirming satisfactory completion after each exercise.
- Keep updated Centralized periodic data backup records and investigate any unsuccessful overnight backup processes, by perusing the logs.
- Manage all the backup media and ensure safe keeping in the Safe, and in liaison with the ICT Officer organize for copies for offsite storage.
- Oversee the interfacing of printers, photocopying, fax machines with computer network.
- Maintain the database (Asset Register) of equipment and ensure that all equipment’s released are correctly endorsed to the user.
- Ensure assets Register is updated regularly
- Academy college / University
- Demonstrable proficiency in technically providing user support for all typical office Information & Communication Technology Systems – LAN/WAN/WLAN technologies, printers etc
- Attitude of keeping up to date with modern ICT trends
- Ability to troubleshoot and provide computer solutions covering hardware and software.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
Job location: Kenya
- Computing / IT
- Higher Diploma in Information Technology or equivalent
- MCSE, MCITP A+ or Equivalent is added advantage
- Minimum of 1 year relevant work experience.
Duty station: Nairobi
Duration of Contract: 8 Months with possibility of extension.
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the office in NRC Nairobi.
- Number of positions: 1
Candidates should apply on line by going through www.nrc.no.