Position Title: Logistics Manager Uganda / Rwanda
Reporting to: Regional Chief Executive Officer Uganda / Rwanda Operation:
Nature of Operation: Leadership of the logistics functions of the Ugandan and Rwandan Operations
Purpose of the position:
Providing high quality leadership, strategy and operational execution with regards to the overall logistics requirements of the Ugandan and Rwandan Operations.
Operate as a key member of the management team of the Ugandan and Rwandan Regional Management.
Key Result Areas and Accountabilities:
1. Quality (systems, procedures and processes)
- Carrier accounts age analysis management
- Accountable for compiling and managing annual carrier disbursement budget
- Measurement and reporting of KPI performance, achieving SLA targets
- Carrier governance management
2. Delivery / Efficiency (cost reduction & productivity)
- KPI tracking and SLA management
- To be a key member of the regional management team across Rwanda and Uganda, based in Kampala to ensure that the logistics functions of the business is fully supported in order to add to the competitiveness of the operations
- Accountable for crafting a strategic transport plan that will support and enhance the competitive advantage of the company into the future
- Accountable for designing and implementing transport execution process/procedures for the business and managing same
- Ensure suitable carrier capacity planning vs volume forecasts
- Calculation and sign off of fuel and annual adjustments
- Project management, tracking of project progress and validation of project savings
3. Risk Management
The Logistics Manager is responsible for the identification and pro-active management of all potential risks to the Ugandan and Rwandan logistical matters. This includes but is not limited to:
- Corporate governance as relates to carrier management
- Protection of company assets by implementing all relevant management prescriptions related
- Deploying of relevant measures to meet Health & Safety standards
- Manage any reputational risk proactively
- Ensure compliance to relevant laws in the Tax & Statutory Payment, Forestry, Water, Agriculture and Labour spheres
4. People & Partnerships
- Interaction and building relationships with carriers and suppliers to ensure reliability, understanding and improve efficiency
- Monthly carrier meetings, associated performance management and relationship management
5. Market Penetration (margins, revenue, products)
- Use initiative and able to identify new opportunities that will add value to the business
- Rate analysis, opportunity identification, solution implementation
6. Profitability (work toward self-sustainability as a business)
- Operational implementation of business plans, ensuring support of business growth plans and profitability, customer service as per service level agreements, continuously finding and implementing value adding initiatives, leading and managing operations teams, policy and corporate governance
Skills, Knowledge & Competencies required to perform this role:
- Preferably at least 10 years relevant management and operational experience and proven track record in as many of the following areas as possible: o
- Transportation management
- Transport planning systems
- Supply chain management
- East African transport (specifically Uganda and Rwanda)
- Cross border transport
- Forestry transport experience would be an advantage
- Strong understanding and previous accountability for balance sheets and income statements
- Excellent leadership and management ability. A proven track record as a leader or manager of project teams or multi-party stakeholder processes
- Senior level tactical interaction and negotiation experience required
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written communications; sound presentation skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Commercial acumen (solution build & commercial modeling experience)
- Strong logistics background, covering the set-up of country-wide distribution networks
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Attention to detail
- Be a team player and relationship builder
- Good knowledge sharing and coaching skills
- Ability to obtain buy-in from stakeholders through change management
- Strong people, interpersonal and delegation skills required
- Does not accept status quo
- Entrepreneurial team player, willing to contribute in multiple ways in a startup environment that presents challenges
- Strong quantita-developed project management skills
- Solution orientated
- Strategic thinker, able to see the big picture and to operationalize the company’s strategy
- Strong integrity and ethics and firm understanding of corporate responsibility reporting
- Analytical ability to consider complex information and make an informed recommendation to the Regional CEO
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and ability to perform complex financial modeling and financial analysis, ability to successfully model all commercial opportunities
- Good networker with the ability to develop and create business
- Sensitive to cultural differences with the ability to understand and adapt to these as a means for increasing the probability of success in negotiations
- Sound working knowledge of MS PowerPoint, Outlook and Word
- Ability to work across functionalities and divisions
- Commitment to a strong governance operating framework with uncompromising ethical values
- Ability to liaise effectively with a diverse range of corporate advisors.
- Knowledge of African and export markets
Qualifications & Professional registration:
- Preferably a supply chain management/logistics degree/industrial engineer or similar.
- Minimum of 10 years professional experience in logistics management preferably in the agribusiness / energy industry or related subjects.
Years of experience required to perform this role:
At least 10 years proven experience in a senior leadership role of a similar nature.
How to apply:
Applicants should email their applications attaching a detailed curriculum vitae and a letter indicating why they are interested in and qualified for the position and the names of three referees who can provide confidential assessment of their capabilities to a Search Committee.
All communications relating to applications for this position should be addressed to: email address: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Applications should be received by 28th February 2013.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
On the subject matter of the email please indicate the position you are applying for.