Vacancy: System Analyst / Coder and Website Technician
About our organization
About our organization
The World Agroforestry Centre, a CGIAR Consortium Research Centre, is an independent research institution, which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role that trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, which hosts African Women in Agricultural Research and Development (AWARD), a preferred service provider of the CGIAR.
AWARD is a career-development program that equips top women agricultural scientists across sub-Saharan Africa to accelerate agricultural gains by strengthening their research and leadership skills, through tailored fellowships.
AWARD is a catalyst for innovations with high potential to contribute to the prosperity and well-being of African smallholder farmers, most of whom are women.
Since 2008, 320 women agricultural scientists from 11 sub-Saharan African countries (Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia) have benefited from AWARD’s successful career-development fellowships. AWARD recently launched a pilot program benefiting five women from selected francophone African countries (Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Mali, and Senegal).
About the position
The System Analyst / Coder and Website Technician will support AWARD’s Monitoring and Evaluation Department, as well as the Communications Unit, with technical innovations to strengthen the management and communication of AWARD’s data and information to internal and external stakeholders.
This position offers a rich challenge and opportunity for a skilled, motivated coder/programmer to design and develop innovative and interactive database driven system of data collection forms, SQL databases, online data entry, retrieval, and analyses applications.
The role also includes daily technical maintenance of AWARD’s website (www.awardfellowships.org).
- Works with AWARD staff to design, develop, test, and maintain data and information management applications for both intranet and internet, allowing efficient, entry, retrieval, and analyses of AWARD’s monitoring data.
- Assists in design and coding of interactive forms on the Adobe platform to make AWARD’s data collection process more efficient, effective, and powerful.
- Designs and maintains SQL Server database(s) to store and manage monitoring data, and connect SQL Server database(s) to AWARD’s online M&E dashboard system, providing dynamic charts and maps using PHP and XML (using FusionCharts suite).
- Develops online system for AWARD staff to access, enter, and query monitoring data and generate data-rich and meaningful reports.
- Develops and maintains systems to support internal automation/communication/processes.
- A minimum of an undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Engineering, Analytics, or related degree.
- Minimum five years’ experience working with SQL Server including experience with stored procedures, views, functions, performance tuning, complex joins, and security.
- Advanced/expert experience working with Joomla CMS (Version 1.5 and above), including building custom templates and extensions as required.
- Experience using Survey software/services to conduct polls and surveys, including generating relevant reports.
- Strong coding and programming background, and extensive experience in data management and analyses, both quantitative and qualitative.
- Advanced knowledge of PHP web scripting language.
- Advanced knowledge of the LAMP stack (Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP).
- Intermediate experience using JQuery, CSS/CSS3 and HTML5.
- Advanced image editing using Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Fireworks.
- Working knowledge of CPanel hosting and configuring/using FTP clients.
- Intermediate knowledge of the ZEND framework.
- Working knowledge of HTML Email Templates, especially MailChimp.
- Analytical ability to delve into detail while maintaining a broader business perspective, ideally evidenced by relevant hands-on experience delivering analytic solutions to organizations.
- Minimum two years’ experience developing interactive forms on the Adobe platform.
- Proficient in .NET framework and Visual Studio.
- Strong analytical and data reporting skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to communicate complex technical concepts and ideas in non-technical terms.
Terms of offer
The World Agroforestry Centre is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
We believe that staff diversity promotes excellence and strongly encourage applications from qualified women.
This position is on local terms and will be for an initial period of three (3) years, renewable subject to six (6) months’ probation period, assessment of performance, continued relevance of the position, and availability of resources.
How to apply
We also invite you to learn more about AWARD at www.awardfellowships.org
Applications will be considered until 31 July 2013.
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.