Vacancy: Country Director - Rwanda
Women for Women International (WfWI), an INGO headquartered in Washington DC and operating in eight countries around the world, seeks to hire a Country Director for its office in Rwanda.
The Country Director is accountable at the highest level for the action and activities of the Rwanda Country Office, with broad responsibilities for shaping the vision and strategy of WfWI’s work in the country, providing high level oversight over all areas of program implementation and operations, conducting fundraising and advocacy, cultivating strategic partnerships and playing a leadership role in the local, national, regional and international movements for women’s advancement.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that all aspects of the WfWI core program, including delivery of sponsorship funds and training in life skills, business skills and vocational skills, men’s engagement, land tenure analysis, and any pilot projects are implemented in accordance with organizational mission and guidelines.
- Provide strategic oversight to the design and successful implementation of all programs offered by Women for Women International including sponsorship and direct aid, rights and life skills training, business and vocational skills training and other pilot projects as applicable.
- Responsible for facilitating annual operational planning and budgeting and 3-year strategic planning for the Country Office in collaboration with the local staff and HQ.
- Ensure that all data collection, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on any aspect of the program is conducted in a timely manner and according to the highest possible standards.
- Ensure country office compliance with all organizational policies, procedures and program guidelines.
- Ensure that financial and administrative systems are in place and adhered to, manage costs to budgets.
- Ensure that systems and processes are in place and adhered to for recruitment, compensation and benefits, labor law & taxation compliance, staff health and safety, staff training and development, employee relations and performance management.
- Ensure that country office staffing is maintained at appropriate level and within budget.
- Supervise senior managers in line with WfWI’s performance management framework, including the setting of annual performance objectives and development plans, annual performance appraisal and regular 1:1 meetings regarding progress throughout the year.
- Develop fundraising opportunities and cultivate new donor relationships, lead and represent the organization to external audiences and stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain working relationships with local and international partners, relevant government agencies and community leaders.
Required Skills & Qualifications
- Master’s level degree or equivalent post-graduate qualification in relevant field (or 15+ yrs experience in lieu of advanced degree)
- Minimum of 10 years relevant work experience, of which at least 5 years at senior managerial level (prior experience as Country Director highly desirable)
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to manage a large, complex, ethnically mixed team of people through a participatory and enabling management style
- Understanding and experience of gender issues in Rwanda and proven commitment to addressing gender inequalities in all key areas of responsibility
- Successful at establishing internal and external relationships, building trust, and inspiring others
- Familiarity with managing budgets, financial reporting, grant writing and reporting
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Kinyarwanda is required
- Must be a citizen of Rwanda or third country national with valid work permit.
All interested candidates should submit an updated CV, cover letter and 3 professional references on the WfWI Career Portal and online application system: https://womenforwomenintlcareers.silkroad.com under the Current Opportunities tab.
Application deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, by deadline September 30, 2012.
Only short listed applicants will be invited to interview.
No telephone inquiries please.